Friday, December 31, 2010

The Bandwagon Cometh....








....and I jumped on it.

My movie watching in 2010 was sparse, and I haven't seen half the films I wanted to.   And since there's no way for this blogger to compile the geeky "Who Cares?" Top 10 List that comes at the end of the year, I'll just stick to what I think is the best movie of 2010.

Inception.

Understand, I didn't think I would like the movie.  Everyone and their live-in maid waxed ecstatic about the film and made it out to be the Second Coming, which is what has become of another film involving a hammy over-acting Marlon Brando, oranges, Al Pacino, and a horse's head.......but I daresay I won't go down that boring road.  Yes, you know what movie I'm talking about, and I still say it's the cure for insomnia.

Inception is the brainchild of Christopher Nolan, which for the life of me I can't understand why this guy hasn't gotten an Oscar yet.  He's created so many original films over the past 10 years with The Prestige, Memento, and The Dark Knight, and still he's stuck in the same hole Hitchcock was.  Yes, the Master of Suspense never won an Oscar either (but was nominated 5 times.)  I'm halfway expecting Uwe Boll to win an Oscar before Nolan just so the Academy can play a sick joke on all of us. I guess they figured The Dark Knight had H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man for a director.

As the city crumbles, Leo and his crew rush to find Christopher Nolan's Best Director Oscar.




The film's origin was written in an 80-page treatment by Nolan nearly 10 years ago, but due to budget restraints and warring studios, the film never got off the ground until 9 years later.

What Inception brings is more of a thinking elegy.  Curious, because the film involves the mind, and the dreams it creates.  Honestly, I may have to see the film a second time in order to fully "get" all of it, but I was very intrigued by what I saw.  For those who have been living inside Charles Foster Kane's snow globe for the past year, Inception involves the analyzation of the mind and its dreams, and a team of experts hired to explore the levels inside them.

What follows can be conceived as the typical "heist" movie being given a shot of adrenaline as jarring and awakening as what was given to Mia Wallace in Pulp Fiction.  Nolan takes his time here, which is something quite unheard of in these days of audiences wanting instant gratification, ala Twilight 20 (Oooh! Glitter!) or SAW 1,899 (Wow! Gore!)

Thomas The Tank Engine's dream goes horribly awry.
Leonardo DiCaprio and his posse of Cillian Murphy, Ellen Page and Joseph Gordon-Levitt all do an excellent job, with Michael Caine doing an awesome bit of 45 second acting, and even Mr. Sniper Tom Berenger (!) shows up. But the film would not work without the presence of Nolan, who sets up all camera shots in his films himself, and does not use a second unit (some advice that Michael Bay may want to take into consideration).. I don't know if I can say Inception is his BEST movie..but it's certainly in the top 5.  And with all the ridiculous garbage that passes for entertainment these days (Edward and Bella must be stopped!), it's refreshing to see something new and original.

11 years ago, a little movie was released called The Matrix, a film similar in style but relied too much on effects, a lambasted soundtrack, and well...Keanu Reeves. While I thought that film was good and its sequels were the stuff you line a birdcage with, Inception does it better and makes this blogger recommend it highly.

But what's really going to bake your noodle later on is...would you still have watched it if I hadn't said anything?

Yeah, probably.

 Inception, (2010)
Grade: A


2 comments:

Diane said...

I'm glad you liked it. I think that brings the grand total of movies we both like to about three. I also appreciate your allusion to The Matrix here--very appropriate and well-stated.

What I fail to understand, however, is how you know both the main character's names in Twilight.

Patrick said...

Thankfully, I can safely say that my DVD player has NEVER been infected with the Twilight virus. However, the marketing philosophies of certain movies (good and horrendous) can be taken to ridiculous extremes. So after seeing t-shirts, posters, and even sugary confections of Bella and Edward everywhere I seem to go, their identities can become lodged into the subconscious of us appreciators of good cinema. It is a terrible disease without an antidote. (Although a perfect but yet-to-be licensed solution can be found here.) FUMOR thanks you for your concern and we will keep you posted should a cure arise.